To find out what love is one must die to the past
Price: £10.00 / €12.33 (Including VAT at 20%)
Five Public Talks in New Delhi, India, 1967Aproximate Duration: 6:20 hoursAudio Format:
--------------------------------------------------------Five Public Talks
--------------------------------------------------------1. Freedom and love
19 November 1967
- Attention implies care, to look with care at one’s own life, one’s way of thinking and activity. You cannot care if there is no affection.
- Without freedom, total freedom, there can be no love. A serious man is committed to these two things only and to nothing else.
- A mind that is not free, that is tethered to a belief, an ambition, a family, or to some petty god of its own invention, such a mind can never understand the extraordinary beauty or love that comes out of freedom.
- To look, to see and to listen is only possible when there is freedom from thoughts, emotions, condemnations and judgements.
- Q: Is choiceless awareness possible in the activities of daily life: in the office, at home, when you are by yourself or when you are talking?Duration:
67 minutes2. Being alone means being innocent
23 November 1967
- Awareness is the quality of mind which observes without any justification or condemnation, approval or disapproval, like or dislike - merely observes.
- Is fear the result of thought?
- The abandonment of authority brings about a sense of complete aloneness, a sense of not depending on any book or any authority. You then travel lightly, not carrying other people’s burden and authority.
- We are not innocent, we carry the burden of what a thousand people have said. We carry the memories of our own misfortunes.
- Q: What is your opinion about the ideals human beings should have?
- Q: How can the conditioned mind examine the unconditioned?
- Q: Can we reach a state of awareness, of freedom, in our daily life?
- Q: Do you approve of group formations around what you have talked about, and do you think it is worthwhile?Duration:
77 minutes3. Love is not mechanical
26 November 1967
- We need energy to learn, to look and listen, but that energy is limited when I look or listen from particular knowledge or an accumulated burden.
- Energy is dissipated through effort. What does effort mean?
- As long as there is a duality psychologically, there must be conflict. Conflict is violence.
- Love is something that is not mechanical. Pleasure is mechanical.
- To find out what love is, one must die to the past.
- Q: What is the function of thought in everyday life?
- Thought rooted in the past creates time.
- Q: When you die, what will happen?Duration:
70 minutes4. Intelligence creates its own austerity
30 November 1967
- How can a small mind, a mediocre mind, which seems to be so powerful in the world, become something totally different?
- To look is to act. To see is to do.
- Austerity means order, precise thinking. There can be no austerity if there is no awareness, not only of things outwardly but also psychologically, inwardly.
- Repetition of any experience or of any word creates a mechanical process of thought, an established formula, system, and therefore your mind becomes narrow, shallow, dull.
- Man must have space, and as space is being denied outwardly one must have space inwardly.
- Can the mind empty itself of the image, the centre?
- Meditation is emptying the mind of the past.
- Q: One fragment of the mind is looking at the other fragment and hence contradiction, hence conflict. Is it possible to look totally?
- Q: What is remembering, what is learning, what is knowledge and what is understanding?Duration:
78 minutes5. What causes disorder inwardly?
3 December 1967
- Where is one to begin to bring about order?
- When you act you have energy, tremendous energy, but when you theorise, intellectually discuss, then action is not possible.
- When a guru or teacher says that he knows and he will lead you, then he will lead you to your own destruction, to disorder within yourself. One cannot fol low anybody; one has to find the truth for oneself.
- One of the fundamental causes of disorder is the separation of idea and action.
- What is action without the idea?
- A religious mind does not seek at all. It cannot experiment with truth.
- Q: Is reincarnation not a fact?
- Q: What is the difference between awareness and introspection?”Duration: